Download the FREE Fierce Reads Fall 2012 Chapter Sampler today!
The Macmillan FIERCE READS Fall 2012 Chapter Sampler includes chapter excerpts from Crewel, Monstrous Beauty, Necromancing the Stone, The Shadow Society, Outpost, and Promised!
Support my career and read free samples from awesome books at the same time!
Halfway through the series. So so so so obsessed. Can’t believe I hadn’t read these before. It’s like marathoning one of my favorite CW shows but in book form.
Books I can’t wait for (in no particular order)
- DAYS OF BLOOD AND STARLIGHT by Laini Taylor
- SIEGE AND STORM by Leigh Bardugo
- REQUIEM by Lauren Oliver
- LOVE IN THE TIME OF GLOBAL WARMING by Francesca Lia Block
- CRESS by Marissa Meyer
- SHADOWS by Ilsa J. Bick
- REACHED by Ally Condie
- THE TWELVE by Justin Cronin
On sale dates can’t come fast enough!
The Anatomy of Something I Think is Awesome
I have varied taste in everything, but here are the strings that tie some of my favorite things together…
- Snarkiness: Please see The Doctor
- Kicking ass and taking names: Enter Echo and Buffy
- People banding together to fight a common enemy: Buffy, my hero, The Vampire Slayer
- A forbidden/angsty romance doesn’t hurt: Starbuck & Apollo
- Long winded speeches that would make for great youtube videos: Anything in Battlestar Galactica
- A main character who is not dependent on a dude for her happiness (here’s looking at you, Bella Swan): Mainly, Veronica Mars
- Aliens, paranormal creatures or dragons always help: Can we say The Vampire Diaries?
THE PASSAGE by Justin Cronin
I’m not sure what took me so long to read this book but I was blown away, even braving holding this enormous, wonderful book, while standing on the subway more than a half hour each way. I think it gave me reader’s elbow (is that a real disorder?).
This book should be a must read, not just for science fiction fans, but also for any fans of great writing. Cronin doesn’t fall into a lot of the same traps that I’ve become accustomed to from other sci-fi authors. There’s no mysterious plague that came from nowhere and the heroine, though she’s called the Girl from Nowhere, has a very real beginning and journey that Cronin explores throughout.
THE PASSAGE was poetic, haunting and all around excellent. I can’t wait to read what’s next.
I read FIRELIGHT in one sitting last night, ignoring pre-Thanksgiving duties. I’m a sucker for these kinds of stories but I thought it was fantastic.
Starting off in the middle of some action instead of waiting to explore the Draki first was a refreshing beginning for supernatural YA and it didn’t let down through the rest of the book.